Sunday, October 25, 2009

Martinsville...but I'm not really here.

Martinsville, VA...Race #6 in the Chase. Jimmie Johnson is rolling towards his 4th straight Sprint Cup Championship with a 90 point lead. This race is one of the most entertaining with it being the shortest track on the circuit, beating, banging, trading paint...but can I tell you...I've already checked out in my head. This time tomorrow I'll be heading towards a large Carnival Cruise ship in Galveston, TX to spend 5 days with my lovely wife. We'll have two ports stops in Mexico. One of the stops in Cozumel where I plan to scuba dive with some sea turtles. I am so excited, I can hardly wait.
Ok, back to racing. Yesterday's practices were rained out, so nobody has had a lot of track time. Ryan Newman took the pole on Friday. Pit selection and position is so big here. This race and next week's race in Talladega will be the two races that are really wild cards in the Chase. You could be having the best day of your racing career and get punted into the fence or caught up in "The Big One" and have your day ruined. I am still holding out hope for Mark Martin or Tony Stewart. Heck, I'd even take Jeff Gordon at this point. To me, this chase is kind of like the last presidential election. No matter what the outcome, it will be historic. Whether Obama was elected as the first African American or we had the first woman Vice President, it would be historic.
Well, if Jimmie wins the cup, it will be the first time someone has won 4 in a row. If Mark Martin wins, it will be his first Cup after coming in 2nd so many times. If Tony wins, it will be his first as an owner/driver and third over all. If Jeff wins, it will be his 5th Championship, but first Sprint Cup. Oh, I am tingly with anticipation!
There is no way to predict how this one will come out, but here goes anyway:
3). Mark Martin
2). Jeff Burton
1). Jeff Gordon
Have a great Raceday...I will update next week with stories of a great vacation...I won't be in Talladega, but I will still keep you posted on the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

No comments: