Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My dad, my hero...


My dad passed away last night. He heroically battled cancer for over a year.
Now my dad is a Christian so I have full confidence that I'll see him again in heaven.
And if you'll indulge me, I want to share a few memories...this is for me...feel free to read or not.

My dad always provided for our needs...not always our wants, and, for that, I am glad. When we kids started putting our extra pennies in a huge poodle shaped bubble bath bottle to save for a horse, he smiled, at least I think it was a smile. He knew that was a want, not a need. He was wise. We didn't get that horse, and that was probably for the best. We always had more than enough food, shelter, stuff. When we were very little he had a friend with a backhoe dig in the swamp on the property to make it a swimming hole. It was a rainy Labor Day...I would take breaks from the Jerry Lewis Telethon to go watch. He stocked it with some fish that he and our neighbor, Carl, got at a fish hatchery. I got to go on that trip, too. Maybe he was making a fishing pond that we could swim in and not a swimming hole that he could fish in...either way it was great for a kid.
As we got older and the fish didn't survive in the murky swamp water, he bought and constructed a swimming pool in the back yard. We helped him build this incredible deck that surrounded half the pool. What a delight summer after summer.
We always had many animals. My first memory of pets was our german shepherd named Joker. Joker chased and ate bumblebees. I don't know why. He was big enough for us to lie down on, and amazingly let us do so. As we got older, and Joker went to doggie heaven, we got other dogs. One was Lobo, a black lab mix. On the ride home after the purchase of Lobo, he decided car riding wasn't good on his tummy. He abruptly ralphed on my leg. I still liked him. Many dogs came and went. Bananas was the longest tenured dog. She listened to me rant and rave on many occasions. We also had a working farm...not that we farmed, but we had farm animals. Dad and Mom always bought baby calves and we raised them for meat. My vegan friends wouldn't approve of that, but, come to think of it, I may not have any vegan friends. We also had goats...one time as many as 21. Springs were incredible when the mama goats would have the babies. Baby goats are so much fun! A friend of ours even did an article in the newspaper about Dad, the farm, the goats and Dad's earth conscious behavior. Dad read a magazine called "Mother Earth News". While the magazine itself was full of weird new age propaganda, he was able to glean the good stuff out of it to help provide for the family. He made a solar powered shower out of a barrel, put it up on the roof of a building he built, and we had warm showers without using any electricity. He was way ahead of his time.
I really enjoyed growing up where I did and how I did. We worked hard cutting wood, taking care of the animals, taking care of the land and playing on a great property in the quiet of the country.
Probably the best thing he ever did for us was to take us to church. I was in church at two weeks old. His faith, as far as I knew, never faltered. He taught Sunday School for as long as I can remember. When he began watching TBN and learned about the Holy Spirit, he studied voraciously. He taught us, too. When the knowledge and experience he had with the Holy Spirit grew, he moved the family to another church that embraced the Holy Spirit. The skill and leadership he had was used well at Union Chapel. He has many friends to attest to that.
My dad always had a hobby...some out of necessity, some out of pleasure. Again, sorry to my PETA friends, if I have any, but I remember Dad would trap. The animals he caught would be sold to provide for the family. His pleasure hobbies were always changing. He was very musically inclined. I remember as kid we would all sit in the den, or "gun room" as we would call it, and sing along with him as he played. He mostly played folk music on his autoharp. He was very good. He loved Peter, Paul and Mary, Flatts and Scruggs, and '50's music. In his job at the Central Indiana Gas Company, he would work a swing shift. This was hard on me, but way harder on him. One week he would work days, then two days off, then afternoons, then two days off, then midnights. Then the cycle would repeat. I don't know how his body always handled that. It was just like him. It had to be done, so he did it. He had to perpetually be in jet lag mode. Anyway, his job provided him some down time, especially in the wee hours of the morning, so he would learn a new skill. He picked up a harmonica and taught himself how to play. He was very skilled at that, too. He got into CB radios. He used them to talk to the family when he was out of the house or driving way before cell phones were the norm. He also set up an elaborate cb at home that he would try to talk to the world with. He had a map on the wall with pushpins on the countries he'd talk to. I remember Japan as one of them along with all fifty states. When computers came along, he slowly made the trek into that world. He became very skilled at surfing the net for information, Photoshop, and great emails. In the past few years, he realized his dream...retirement and a pond. This time around, he designed the pond, had it dug professionally, stocked it with great bass and bluegill and cared for it meticulously. I think that may have been his proudest accomplishment on his property. It is still a great gathering place for all the family.
He traveled this country in the National Guard...took us on great vacations including Washington, DC, Charleston, SC and Panama City, FL. He loved deep sea fishing. He traveled the world spreading the Gospel. He went to India on several occasions and made some lifelong friends with some believers there.
He helped shape me into who I am today. He took care of the earth. He took care of others. He took care of us. He led people to the Lord. He took the talents God gave him and multiplied them.
And he made God smile. I know it.

10 comments:

Curt Austin said...

You are all in our prayers.

My own memories came flooding back as I read your post. Joe was a great bear-of-a-man who was as gentle in spirit as any I've ever known.

His energy for life was only matched by his love of his family.

Derek Chalfant said...

Sorry to hear about your dad, but yes you will see him again someday when we all get heaven. You most definately had a good mentor for fatherhood. Your family is in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I worked at Indiana Gas from 1958 to 1997. Jim West - mostly at the General Office in Indianapolis. I'd get over to Muncie once in a while. I keep a list of gas company retirees email addresses, and whenever I hear of someone passing, or hopefully, good news, I email it to them all. I'd like to send what you wrote to all of them. Maybe some will remember him. If you will reply to jimwest@wildblue.net and give me some details, such as full name, job title, what town/dept he worked in, etc., I'd be very glad to do it. I'll bet your Dad would really like what you wrote. If you'd like to be included in the list, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Best blog yet. I agree, what a guy -- I'm so lucky to have been his grandkid. Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Jessie

Holly Anderson said...

Your family, especially your mom, is in my prayers. How blessed you all have been to be raised by him.

He will certainly live on in all that he taught you and your siblings and the legacy he leaves with his grandchildren!

Anonymous said...

Joel & family,

Our prayers will be with your family as you journey through this tough time.

What a beautiful post and touching tribute to your father.

Even my children have heard about the Bennett farm and love to hear stories about me riding home on the bus with my friend Joel and drinking goat milk. My 5 and 6 year old boys even asked if we could visit the farm sometime when we go home to Farmland!

I hope your family will feel the warmth and love sent by many people who had the opportunity to enjoy time with the Bennett clan over the years.

The Mays said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad! I'm sure he is very proud of you and the father and husband you've become to your wife and children!
We have many memories of your dad too! All those goats and watching he Joann milk and feed them....and drinking all that goat milk! When I think of Joe, somehow always in my mind I see him in a Seekers t-shirt walking around Farmland UMC!
He will be missed but we know he's been made whole again. We'll be seeing him again someday soon!
Much Love,
The Mays

Anonymous said...

I love you son. Thank you so much for the wonderful tribute to your dad. And, also thank you to all who commented so lovingly. God bless you all.
Mom/Joann

Unknown said...

Joel, that was great! There were many tears in the room as Mom read it out loud yesterday.
See you tomorrow.

Love you!
Jenny

Beth said...

Joel,

That was so beautiful! Your dad was an amazing man and I have so many fond memories of him.

Lifting up all you in prayer and especially your mom.

Blessings my friend!