Sunday, June 7, 2009

Raceday in Pocono

It's another beautiful day in Pocono, PA! Looks like we'll get the race in today, but rain is coming tonight...Let's get a green flag quickly!
We're preparing to go on the air with Raceday, a 2 hour live broadcast on SPEED. It is the flagship program of our weekend that is filled with interviews, features and fun stuff.
Yesterday during practice Tony Stewart wrecked his primary car and had to go to a back up. Oddly enough, he said he likes the back up better and wishes he would've wrecked the primary earlier so he would have had more track time in the back up. He and his teammate, Ryan Newman, were both very quick in Happy Hour, so I think they'll both be guys to keep your eye on today.
Here's my predictions for today:
3). Ryan Newman
2). Denny Hamlin
1). Kyle Busch

Speaking of Kyle Busch...he gave me another reason to dislike him last night. He won the Nationwide race in Nashville last night. That is not why I dislike him. He's a great driver. What he did in Victory Lane was, in my eyes, pretty classless. The trophy for winning in Nashville is a custom made Sam Bass Gibson guitar. Gibson guitars are manufactured in Nashville. All the Gibson brass come to the track and are there at the presentation. Kyle took the trophy, went around the front of the car and smashed it on the ground twice. He said he was going to do it like a "rock star" and give pieces to his crew. Those guitars are one of a kind...I just don't think it's cool to smash the trophy that so many people spent hours putting together. He said he meant no disrespect and has ordered two new ones for himself and one for his crew chief. I understand it is a fun thing to smash guitars and pretend you're a rock star, but it just didn't seem right. He probably wouldn't smash any other trophies he wins all season. Just my humble opinion. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was the trophy, but then decided maybe it wasn't--that I was mistaken. "No one would do that to the trophy." That was classless. I didn't watch any further. I didn't hear any fallout. You know he's not my favorite!!!
Jackie