Saturday, September 12, 2009

2 for 1...

Ok, since I didn't post for last week's Atlanta race...I'll make my post prediction. I think Kasey Kahne will win last week.
Yes! I nailed it!
Now, for this week in Richmond...this is where all the work finally culminates and the the top 12 slots are nailed down. Those are the Chasers. Anyone can still win a race, but only those in the top 12 can win the Sprint Cup. I really feel for those who don't make the top 12. They are really cast off and ignored from this time forward. Back to the top 12...the point standings, after tonight's race, are reset to 5000 each, plus 10 points for each victory so far this season. So that means if Mark Martin makes the Chase, he will have 5040 points because he won four races this year. Basically everyone is even in the top 12, but those few "reward" points might make a difference in the end.
This is one of our biggest nights of the year. This is the final day of the regular season and the playoff teams get set. It's pretty fun. The top 4 spots of the 12 are already locked in. Those drivers are Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and Denny Hamlin. There are 11 guys who can make the final 8 spots. That makes it pretty fun. The calculators will be whirring throughout the race. By the way, my mom is happy that this race and the final 10 races, all the races in the Chase, will be seen on broadcast TV...ABC. Yeah!
My predictions for tonight:
3). Brian Vickers
2). Kyle Busch
1). Mark Martin
And I think Brian Vickers and Kyle Busch will vault themselves into the top 12 by bumping Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth out.
My best high school friend, Chuck Chalfant, is coming to the race with a couple of friends and one of his daughters! It will be great to see him again!
Have a great raceday!