Sunday, August 16, 2009

Finally, a Sunday race!!!

Wow, what a beautiful weekend here in Michigan. The weekend seems to go much faster when it doesn't rain. We will get this race in today and that makes me happy.
It's been Brian Vickers weekend so far. He got the pole for both the Nationwide and Cup races. He ran up front all night and finished 2nd in a great finish to Brad Keslowski. He kinda got into a scrap with Kyle Busch after the race. Kyle, who battled Vickers all day, said that Vickers raced him to aggressively and let the 88 of Keslowski win. Waaaaaah!
Anyway, Vickers starts up front again today and has a strong Cup car that should compete for the win. Roush cars are always tough here in Michigan and it always seems to come down to fuel mileage. The race in June was all but won by Jimmie Johnson and he ran out of gas on the last lap. Greg Biffle flew by him and the checkers were in his sites, then, putt, putt, putt...he ran out of fuel which opened the door for the 5 of Mark Martin to go flying by a mere 1/4 lap to the finish for the win.
The double file restart shootout style that NASCAR has instituted has raised the excitement level a ton. I think this will be another race that you can tune into the last 20 laps and it will be thrilling! Only 4 races to go to make the Chase. Tony Stewart still leads the points and I love that!
Today I have a couple of guests at the track. LeAnn Williams Greer and her husband are coming. I saw LeAnn at our reunion last month and met her husband. He is a huge NASCAR fan, so I said let me know if can get to a race and I'll try to hook you up. They called and said they wanted to go to Michigan, so I was able to get them tickets and pit passes. They should have a blast under beautiful sunny skies today!
My predictions for today:
3). Mark Martin
2). Brian Vickers
1). Carl Edwards
Have a great Raceday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark or Carl are my choices. Watching Shrub last night was so funny. "You & I were racing good & you let Brad win." What? That kid has got to learn to shut his mouth when he's upset. Then Vickers probably should have kept his mouth shut, as well. "I was racing." That was enough. Mike says that there always needs to be some racer to hate. I don't agree. But I don't like Kyle's attitude most of the time. He's a great racer though.
Jackie

Joel said...

I agree with Mike...if there is a guy with a black hat, it makes it more compelling. Darrell Waltrip used to be that guy. Then Dale Earnhardt. The funny thing is, the "black hat guys" still have a ton of fans. It is an interesting social experiment.