Sunday, August 9, 2009

What-kins Glen?

So many of my fans have been clamoring for me to return from my blog hiatus. Well, actually, just Mom.
I decided to take a break because it didn't seem like I was writing anything new or had any new angle or insight from the last time I posted about whatever track I was at. So the question is, why did the blog return today? Is there some earth shattering news that pulled me from my sabbatical? Truthfully...no. But here's an update on what's been up lately.
We had the week off after Chicago. I went to my 25th high school reunion in Indiana. I stayed there until the race in Indianapolis the following weekend. Jimmie Johnson won. And the crowd says yea. Last weekend we were in Pocono, PA for the 2nd time in 7 weeks. Denny Hamlin won for the first time in about 50 races. It was pretty emotional for him because his grandmother just passed away on the Friday before the race. Which brings us to the annual Watkins Glen road course race. This one is entitled "The Heluva Good Sour Cream Dips at the Glen". Wow. Most of the drivers stink at road course racing, so this is one they just endure and look forward to the next oval. Some drivers and owners even use replacement drivers or "road course ringers". Some drivers who've come from another series, ie IRL, really excel at these courses. One such driver to keep an eye on today is Marcos Ambrose. He put on a clinic yesterday in the Nationwide series to take the checkered flag. There is no reason to expect any less today. He is a very likable guy, so it would be nice to see him get his first NASCAR Spring Cup win today.
My predictions:
3). Kyle Busch
2). Juan Pablo Montoya
1). Marcos Ambrose

By the way, the family is all good. All three boys are winding down from a whirlwind summer of fun. Zach absolutely loved his wrestling camp in Montana. The twins loved their trip throughout Texas and then their mission trip to Gulfport, MS. They are all now officially in high school. The twins are freshmen and Zach is a junior at Franklin High School.
Sandy and I are just "livin' the dream"!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Watched part of the race yesterday & remembered I really don't like road course races. Missed the end. Glad to hear that Ambrose won. Have a good race day!
Jackie

Grandma Bennett said...

Thanks Joel. I really did miss the blob hiatus. Glad you're back to writing again.
Love, Mom

Joel said...

Mom...it's blog...unless you're talking about my midriff again.

Grandma Bennett said...

Guess I should read what I type before I post it, huh?
Love,
Mom