Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SpeedWeeks has begun...

Welcome to Daytona! The temperature is a balmy 48 degrees and will drop to 25 tonight, so all you folks up North can lower your jealousy meter...not quite a tropic vacation down here...but there is no snow!
We are leaps and bounds ahead of last year with our production truck. Since we got to keep the same truck, and we used it in January for Preseason Thunder, we are very well set up. We've modified a few things to make the back to back to back shows go smoother by moving one evs to the edit suite. That evs can ingest the packages for the next show while we're busy playing back for the current show. Since all the evs's are networked together, we will be locked and loaded for the next show at all times. Plus, it will cut down on the human traffic in our area while we are on the air. It's surprising how loud a producer, two talent and multiple production assistants can get...unless you have children, then you know.
Today is just a set day, but the buzz is starting...producers are floating in, dropping off tapes, sharing their philosophies on how to accomplish their goals...yada, yada.
But I have a new outlook on this season. I am going to happily do my job, not complain (as much), and smile more. It's just tv.

Here's a rabbit trail....I was thinking about my dad this morning as I was getting dressed. He used lots of phrases from his military days when talking to us that I didn't get until many years later. One such term was "scivies"...that mean underwear. I think it derives from "civies" meaning civilian clothes. I still enjoy running around in only my scivies. Another phrase that I was on the receiving end of quite often was "At ease!" My young ears heard "attease"...one word. I knew it meant get quiet immediately...and the louder it was proclaimed, the quicker one should get quiet. Not until I watched some military program on television later in life did I understand it was "at ease", meaning relax at attention. Just a window into my life...look through as long as you'd like.

There are all kinds of races during SpeedWeeks...qualifying races, shootout races, trucks, Nationwide and, of course, Cup. I'll try to update more often during SpeedWeeks as drivers, owners, crew chiefs, and numbers are all changing!

And on this day, February 4, 2009, I am picking two drivers that I will follow closely this year...hopefully to the Cup Championship...#33 Clint Bowyer and #14 Tony Stewart. Feel free to comment on the drivers you'll be keeping an eye on this year, who you want to win it all and who you think will win it all.
Welcome to SpeedWeeks!

2 comments:

Grandma Bennett said...

Thanks for the update Joel. You constantly surprise me with your memories of your dad. I'm glad you're going to enjoy this year of racing. Love you, Mom

Derek Chalfant said...

I'll be following 4 drivers,
#14 of Tony Stewart and his teammate #39 or Ryan Newman and his former teammate #18 of Kyle Busch and the driver who takes over for his new mate #12 of David Stremme. All 4 of these have a strong tie to the Winchester Speedway so that's why I'm following them. Looking forward to your updates.