Monday, February 18, 2008

Daytona in the rearview mirror...

After 14 days, 84 hours of OT and 100 hours of broadcasting, SpeedWeeks is now over!  Did you like the Daytona 500?  Did you even watch it?  If you only caught the last 10 laps, you basically saw the whole race.  I was pulling for Tony Stewart...I still like him...he's got some personality and he's not a corporate geek.  I like his mullet!  It was fine with me that Ryan Newman won...he's a nice guy, and is always nice to our people.  I was walking along pit road as Chubby Checker, Kool and the Gang, Brooks and Dunn and Trisha Yearwood performed.  I didn't see a lot of celebrities this time.  I did see Ashley Judd in Dario Franchitti's pits, but she's my neighbor, so it wasn't that big a deal.  John Salley was on my plane this morning.  Helio Castroneves was on our show yesterday.  Kenny Wallace was doing the twist early in the show, then Helio was on and Wendy asked  him to do some dance moves.  He danced a little, so we put Kenny dancing and Helio dancing in a split screen.  It was pretty funny.  It was cool to see all the former Daytona 500 winners assembled.  
I am home for the next three days, then Thursday fly to Ontario, CA for the Fontana race on Sunday.  Now the season gets into it's normal flow.  We have a pretty set schedule and much more reasonable hours. East Coast to West Coast...Oh, I'm nationwide, baby.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joel...so, do you have the freedom to generate and execute the creatives such as the split screen? If so, dang...they trust you more than they probably should, huh? j/k...but I'm sure there are all kinds of things you'd like to put on air!