Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lynyrd Skynyrd with a Northern accent....

Race day in Pocono...
We got out early yesterday since only Cup is here in Pocono. I got back to the hotel around 4pm. Fell asleep for a couple of hours, then decided to get out and run for awhile. I got about 100 yards from my hotel and the downpour started. Pocono Manor is over 100 years old and used to be a great ski resort. Well, when the rain started, I was halfway down this trail that I think used to be a bunny hill for skiing. I ran back up the hill and ducked into an old building that was a ski lift a million years ago. It had three walls and a roof and still had the old motors and the rails for the ski lift. It was pretty neat and a good shelter to wait out the rain. It did let up after a few minutes and I scooted back to the my room without much of a workout.
Later I went to the main lodge and watched a band in the bar called "Who Knows". If you want to book an 80's cover band for your next bar mitzvah, birthday or just a fun gathering, you can reach them at whoknowsband.com
I sat and enjoyed about 10 songs before I drifted back to my room for a few hours sleep. It was funny to hear a band clearly from the Northeast do a cover of "Sweet Home Alabama" featuring a violin...they may get shot trying that down in my neck of the woods. They actually were very good. It was fun to do something a little different than the normal sit and watch tv in my room.
Thanks to Jackie for keeping me updated on the Nationwide race while I enjoyed the musical interlude.
Nice segue to the racing news...Kyle Busch is completing the first ever triple race weekend in three different top NASCAR series in three different states. Friday night, he raced trucks in Ft. Worth, TX...last night he raced Nationwide cars in Nashville and today he competes in Cup here in Pocono. Some have criticized him saying that he needs to stay focused on Cup, but if you can run them all and have the sponsors etc, who am I to stand in your way of free enterprise. Though he did crash in practice here yesterday morning...again, some said that was due to not being focused and only getting a few hours sleep flying back late Friday night from Texas. I think he just crashed. Anyway, he had to go to a backup car, and will start at the rear of the field today at 2pm eastern.
Now on to the predictions: I predict a boring race...500 miles is too long of a race here, but they didn't ask me. It's not easy to pass here with no banking and cars spreading out so much. I think that Kasey Kahne will be strong again today. In fact, I think he will win followed by Carl Edwards and Matt Kenseth.
On the homefront...Sandy and the twins have wrapped up shooting at the Hannah Montana movie. They said the days were long and hot, but they liked it. They are pretty sure they'll be in the scene where "Jan" from "The Office" kisses Billy Ray Cyrus...sorry, for the spoiler...hope you still go see the movie.
Yesterday, Sandy flew to Texas to visit a her friends Ken and Dawn, pastors in Brownsville, TX. She's been wanting to see Dawn for a couple of years, so I used one of my free tickets from Southwest and sent her on a mini vacation.
This Tuesday, I hope to get the boys out kayaking on the Harpeth River...if the weather cooperates.
Signing off from spooky Pocono Mountains.

No comments: