Monday, April 28, 2008

Valuable Experience

Bright and early here at the Birmingham airport. Well, at least early, not so bright. If you look at mapquest, you might ask, "Why are you flying to Birmingham? Isn't that only a 2 hour drive from Nashville?" Yes, it is. But with our new travel policy of working our own flights with a $400 cap, Southwest fits right in. I like to fly Southwest, and after 8 flights, I get a free ticket. With gas being as high as it is, the flight actually cost about the same as driving....crazy, huh? Talk about a crazy airport today...an airport like Birmingham isn't big, and the two Mondays a year after the races, it's just a zoo. I got here 90 minutes before my flight, checked in my bag, and then stared at the line at security that serpentined around itself at least 300 people deep. Then I became "that guy". I walked around the line, stood near where you enter the "magic ropes" of security, looked at my ticket, looked up at the arrows, looked down again and did the 2 step shuffle into the line when the family of 5 was all chatty. I bypassed and hour of waiting in line...man, I hate that guy...but it gave me time to post this morning.
Great race at Talladega...Kyle Busch sure can drive! But again, Talladega is a crap shoot...being at the right place at the right time. That's what did it for Kyle.
Last night, some of the "above the line" staff people took Sanford and I to dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse...a very rare treat. I enjoyed a petite filet and baked potato, and someone else picked up the tab. Nice.
Moving on to Richmond, VA next weekend. It is a Saturday night race for the Cup series. We still go in on Thursday, but have very long days Friday and Saturday, and fly back on Sunday. It will be good to be home on a Sunday.
The boys did well this weekend at the wrestling tournament in Ohio..Alex lost his first two and was out quick, but gained valuable experience (isn't that what you're supposed to say?). Andy lost won, won one (by pinning a girl). I still have very mixed feelings about girls wrestling boys...I like it that girls are wrestling, I think it's a great sport, but young boys and girls with hormones raging maybe shouldn't be rolling around on each other. Of course, I encourage my boys not to pin a girl too quickly...gotta get that "valuable experience". Zach did great...Won two and lost two. His victories were by wide margins and his defeats by small ones. All in all a great weekend with "valuable experience".

No comments: