Saturday, March 15, 2008

Another week...more rain...

Getting a little tired of rain. We didn't have any programming scheduled today...so why are you there you might ask...I really don't know why the whole crew came in today. I guess we were in to do rain fill if Fox wasn't able to get the practices in. Fortunately, the rain held off until the Nationwide series got a practice in and the Cup series got two practices in. The rest of the crew has now left and I am alone in the truck...waiting for the rain to stop....hoping, along with NASCAR, that the Nationwide race will start soon. Bristol is actually the fastest track to dry in the whole circuit. Since it is so small and the banking is high, the drying process doesn't take too long...about 45 minutes...provided it stops raining. Since I had to stay late today, my technical manager let me come in late...about 3 hours after everyone else. It was nice to sleep in a little.
It will be hard to predict who will win this race, mostly because I stink at predicting...proof is in previous posts. But lots of these guys came up from short track racing with sprints, midgets, etc. so this is a lot of fun for most of them. Tempers will flare and there won't be a fender unscathed. It is probably my favorite race of the year. This is one of the few tracks that I'll leave the truck for to go watch some of the race. The banking is amazing...not unlike Winchester...though I doubt I'll see James Garner scaling the banking and flashing a deck of cards...did I recall that correctly, Dad?
Syble is doing well...Sandy is really loving the beauty of Hawaii. The place where they are staying is kinda like a motel/condo...no tv or anything, so you have the chance to see the beauty without a lot of distractions. Syble took Gay and Sandy sightseeing and Sandy saw some really beautiful waterfalls, mountains and, of course, great beaches. I, on the other hand, still see a wall of television monitors....but it beats digging ditches...or so I assume.
Tune in tomorrow to see my predictions for the race...and then bet the opposite of what I pick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope. Sorry. Maverick was the pace car driver at the Little Five Hundred at Anderson Speedway. Do you remember when Winchester was the fastest half mile in the world?
Dad

Joel said...

Details...I remembered it was James Garner...I guess the high banks of Winchester would be hard to climb. I do remember going to Winchester...Pancho Carter, Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon, Tony Bentenhausen, Danica Patrick...wait, now I'm drifting off into my dreams. I didn't realize how famous Winchester Speedway was until I started this racing gig. I'd like to go again sometime. Anybody racing there this weekend?