Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Track Too Tough To Tame...

I've landed in Darlington, South Carolina...about 50 miles from the Atlantic coast and Myrtle Beach. I actually landed in Charlotte, NC and drove the 2 hours down here. South Carolina holds some great memories for me...our family vacationed here when I was a first grader. I loved the tour of Fort Sumter...still remember a lot of it to this day. I also remember staying at a campground on Isle of Palms...which apparently is no longer in existence. We were here over Halloween and my parents made us some makeshift costumes, I believe mine was a mask made of aluminum foil, and we went trick-or-treating....maybe just to one other camper, but I remember a full size Hershey bar! I also remember sitting in the waves of the ocean and not being a huge fan at the time...ok, I cried when the wave hit me, so sue me...I was in 1st grade!.
Well, the race this week will be another pretty one that begins in some light and goes into darkness. They have repaved the surface on the track, so the speeds should be faster than last season. Besides "The Track Too Tough To Tame", they also call it "The Lady In Black." I think it refers to this:

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.schmidt/ft.warren/ghost.html

I hope I can go out during driver introductions to hear the crescendo of boos that will rain down on one Kyle Busch who crashed Dale, Jr. and the company car at the end of last week's race. It could get ugly.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhh....the memories...that was a great trip! I'd love to be there to hear the boos also! I bet they'll be loud!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard the legend of "The Lady in Black". That's an interesting story. Thanks.
the old man

Anonymous said...

That was a great vacation. I'm glad you have some good childhood memories!
Love you,
Mom